We love the State Library of Victoria's Play Pod here at Busy City Kids. You may have read our previous review of the Play Pod inspired by the Treehouse series by Andy Griffiths. We featured a photo recently of the new program on until the 30th of November so we thought we'd fill you in on what to expect from the new theme!
The new Play Pod theme invites children to join Mr Chicken on his journey through Rome. Inspired by the Mr Chicken Arriva a Roma book by Leigh Hobbs who recently received the Australian Children's Laureate.
Activities include dressing up in a chicken costume, riding a Vespa, making a simple camera with paper, wool and a silver patty pan, splashing in the Trevi Fountain (blue cellophane and a light table), building your own Colosseum, making your own Mr Chicken and more!
Children and carers can even sit quietly in a snug corner and choose from a wide selection of books on the theme of travel and discovery.
- Entry is FREE, woo hoo!
- The space isn’t big and can get quite busy on weekends and school holidays – so go early when the library opens at 10am.
- Be aware that the doors into The Courtyard stay open at all times. If you have a little one who likes to go off exploring (like Master Arlo!) you will have to keep an eye on them going into the Thescowthick Information Centre. Although this did provide ample entertainment for the Library staff member at the help desk!
- No food or drink is to be consumed within The Courtyard, except for bottled water.
- Pram parking is available in The Courtyard or you can check them into the Cloakroom at the Welcome Desk on level one.
- State Library of Victoria is very family friendly with designated baby-change and feeding areas located adjacent to The Courtyard.
The Play Pod is free at the State Library of Victoria and open every day (except public holidays) and this theme is on until the 30th of November 2016.
For more ideas on what to do with the kids, head to our blog.