It really is quite a sight arriving at Federation Square and finding The Square filled with an impressive structure of tunnels and domes.
ARBORIA, created by Alan Parkinson of internationally acclaimed Architects of Air is one of a series of Luminaria; inflatable structures designed to generate a sense of wonder and enchantment.
Inspired by the shapes and form of the forest, you wander through ARBORIA’S luminous tree-like structures, see the patterns of leaves and branches above and hear a remarkable sound experience - a commissioned soundtrack recorded in the Amazonian jungle.
Venturing from cathedral-like dome to dome (make sure you lie down and look up to really take in their graphic simplicity), the tunnels glow in a kaleidoscope of colours thanks to natural sunlight.
The poppets absolutely loved scooting through the coloured tunnels (no running or climbing is permitted), pulling each other along on the padded floor and had many giggles putting their faces up against the fan holes (Little Miss Twin Two even had her very own ‘Marilyn Monroe moment’!). We saw other visitors sitting in the cocooning pods reading or simply absorbing the ambience.
It’s hard to believe that the luminosity of colour inside ARBORIA is simply due to the light shining through coloured plastic - plastic whose individual pieces have been cut and glued together by hand! WOW!
ARBORIA is a structure unlike anything we have experienced before and I couldn't help but think that it was like walking through a stained glassed window! A must to check out these school holidays. Kate
- ARBORIA is suitable for all ages. Children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult (one adult for up to four children).
- ARBORIA is air-conditioned but some sections can be warmer than others so best to go early in the day to avoid the avoid or any potential closures.
- Long queues may be experienced during peak times and even though there are several umbrellas set up along the waiting line, don’t forget to be sun smart.
- Allow approximately 20-30 minutes inside depending on your children’s age and group size.
- Snap a selfie inside and tag your pics with #fedsquaresummer and @federationsquare.
- Prams are not permitted inside but can be left at the reception area which is attended at all times.
- Food and drinks are not permitted inside so be sure to make use of Federation Square’s deck chairs for a picnic!
- Ticket prices are as such: Adult: $18.00, Concession: $16.00, Child (3-15 years): $15.00, Family (2 children + 2 adults): $56.00 and Child (under 3 years): Free.