sydney - school holidays spots
July School Holidays Edition - Saturday 7th to Sunday 22nd July 2018
- Chatswood Chase - Join the team from Northbridge School of Visual Arts for fun-filled art workshops. Bring along the kids' for free and let imaginations run wild. Monday 9th to Friday 13th July 11am to 2pm. More info here.
- Forestway Shopping Centre - Enjoy Free Reptile Shows Monday 9th to Friday 13th July 10 am to 1 pm and Tie Die Workshop Tuesday 17th & Wednesday 18th July 10 am to 1pm and Pamper Bar Fun Thursday 19th to Friday 20th July 10 am to 1 pm. More info here.
- Macquarie Centre - Kids can enjoy Build a Bear Workshop Monday 9th to Fri 13th July 10 am to 1 pm and Roll'd Workshops Monday 16th to Friday 20th July 10 am to 12:30 pm. Bookings essential. More info here.
- Northern Beaches Council - Checkout various activities taking place these holidays at Northern Beaches libraries, vacation care programs, kids on the coast holiday program, Glen Street Theatre and Manly Art Gallery & Museum. More info here.
- St Ives Shopping Centre - Take part in Code 4 Fun workshops Monday 9th to Thursday 12th July $10. Various dates & times. More info here. Or keep the kids entertained with Free Science Workshops, Rock Art and Plaster Fun House! Monday 16th to Friday 20th July. Various times. More info here.
- Top Ryde City - Immerse the kids in the DC Super Hero Immersive Zone from Monday 16th to Friday 20th July. 11am to 2pm. Various activities. Ages 3+. More info here. Meet & Greet Batman on Wednesday 18th July. Various times. More info here.
- Warriewood Square - Enjoy a Free Magic show at Warriewood Square by Elio Simonetti at The Square's Magic Show. A 30 minute spectacle made for wizards, mermaids and adventurers! Monday 9th to Friday 13th July from 11am & 1pm near Coles Court. More info here.
- Westfield Chatswood - Enjoy Free NAIDOC week with story time and dance workshops. Monday 9th to Friday 13th July. More info here. Enjoy Free Jurassic World Craft Village from Wednesday 11th to Saturday 15th July 11am to 2pm. More info here.
- Westfield Hornsby - Enjoy Free NAIDOC week activity zone events from Monday 9th to Friday 13th July. Various dates & times. More info here. Enjoy Free Jurassic World Craft Village from Tuesday 17th to Saturday 21st July 11am to 2pm. More info here. Enjoy Dinosaur Activity Zone Tuesday 17th and Wednesday 18th July 11am to 2pm. More info here.
- Westfield Warringah Mall - Celebrate the World Cup at Westfield Warringah from the Monday 9th to the Friday 20th July with a range of FREE activities - Ball Pit Challenge, Little Kickers Football Workshop, Manly Warringah Football Association x ALDI MiniRoos football clinic and more! Varies times & dates. More info here.
art galleries & libraries
- Art Gallery of NSW - Enjoy the Archibald, Wynne and Sulman Prize winners and Young Archies entries at the Art Gallery of NSW these holidays. Our review here. Enjoy art family workshops, free artmaking workshops, drop in & make fabulous flip books, movie matinée, celebrate NAIDOC week and more. Various dates & times. More info here.
- Museum of Contemporary Art (MCA) - Flap your tail like a barramundi, weave your way through the exhibition, look out for animals hiding in artworks and learn their names in Kuninjku! Back in the creative studios, get creative with materials and make a mobile that connects you and your family to your own special piece of country. $18 Family ticket, $14 MCA Member and $14 Concession Sunday 8 July to Friday 13 July. Ages 4+. More info here.
- Sydney Opera House - Junior Adventure - Uncover mysterious secrets and unusual facts with this jam-packed journey through the Sydney Opera House. The Junior Adventure Tour is filled with interactive activities and games for the whole family: explore with our expert guides, and inspire your inner performer to become a Sydney Opera House star. Only during school holidays. Adult $32 and Child $22 for kids 5 to 15. Children under 5 are free. More info here.
- Centennial Parklands - School Holiday Programs - From lego robotics, Wild Play Bush School, Pizza Party in the bush, Wild Play kids vs wild, Wild Play Bush Rangers, CSI Forensics with Fizzics, Gross and Gory, chemical concoctions, and more. Ages, dates and prices vary. More info here.
- Royal Botanic Garden - School Holiday Programs - Choose from a range of sessions from Create and Play!, Kids Veggie Patch, Indigenous Olympics, City Slicker Critters, Botanic Beats - Garden Disco and Garden Grubs. Ages and prices vary. More info here.
- Australian Museum - Mammoths - Meet a 42,000-year-old baby woolly mammoth for an extended period now at the Mammoths: Giants of the Ice Age exhibition until the 22nd of July! Kids can get pretty hands-on at the exhibition with at least 10 interactive stations for them! All ages. Prices vary. Read our review here.
- Australian Museum - School Holiday Programs - This winter holidays unlock museum secrets and jump back in time with whole-day workshops, performances and drop-in activities. Activities include Drop-in: Mammoth Soapstone Carving, Curator for a D and Prehistoric Playground: Kids Theatre Workshop. Prices vary. Ages vary. More info here.
- Justice & Police Museum - The Justice & Police Museum is a great place for primary school children, teenagers and adults to read up on, understand and appreciate the rich history of the buildings and underworld Sydney. The Museum is only open weekends and the Mock Trial is only on once a day on Saturday and Sunday so make sure you attend during those times. Kids can play dress ups and follow a little trail to find their missing friend provided at reception. Read our review here.
- Museum of Sydney - Alphabetical Sydney: Creative Lab - Let your imagination run wild in a creative laboratory full of the sights and sounds of Sydney. Included in museum entry. Ends Sunday 12th August 2018. Read our review here.
- Powerhouse Museum - School Holiday Programs - Enjoy a range of different workshops and sessions these holidays at the Powerhouse Museum. Ages and prices vary. More info here.
- Rouse Hill House & Farm - Rouse Hill House & Farm in LEGO® Bricks exhibition. Explore models of the iconic Rouse Hill House, outbuildings, stable and barns constructed from LEGO® bricks with breathtaking architectural detail and accuracy by the Southern Hemisphere’s only LEGO®-certified professional, Australia’s Ryan McNaught. Kids can get hands-on with over 200,000 loose LEGO® bricks too. Adult $12, Concession $8, Family $38, Member free. Ends Sunday 22nd July 2018. Our review here.
- Rouse Hill House & Farm - Earn your Tucker. Help to feed the chickens, collect the eggs, grind the corn, make the butter and pump the water, then sit for some well-earned tucker. Ages 5+. Adult $20, Concession/Child $20, Member $15 or Member Child $15. Sunday 1 July, 10.30am - 12.30pm. More info here.
- Rouse Hill House & Farm - Bush Tucker. Search for bush tucker plants around Rouse Hill House & Farm with Aboriginal guides from
Muru Mittigar. Learn about traditional bush foods and make a johnnycake. Ages 5 - 12. Adult $12, Child $20, Concession $8 (seniors only) Family $55, Members FREE Member Child $15, Member Family $30. Monday 9 & 16 July, Wednesday 11 & 18 July, 10.30am - 12pm. More info here.
- Rouse Hill House & Farm - Family Tours. Head to the farm these holidays and find out about the fascinating history of Rouse Hill House & Farm! Take a farmyard tour to explore the stables and meet the chooks, ‘Pudding’ the cow, and our horses Larry and Ziggy. Included in museum entry. Daily in the school holidays. More info here.
- Rouse Hill House & Farm - NAIDOC 2018 - Because of her, we can. Join our celebration of local Darug culture. Be welcomed to country, throw a boomerang, share in song, dance and stories and enjoy delicious food and drinks. Free. Sunday 15 July, 10am - 3pm. More info here.
- Vaucluse House - Earn your Tucker. Help to feed the chickens, collect the eggs, grind the corn, make the butter and pump the water, then sit for some well-earned tucker. Various dates. Ages 5+. More info here.
- KID/DUB - The children's spin-off from the creative team behind the world-renowned Hot Dub Time Machine audiovisual spectacular is returning to The Factory Theatre following a string of sold-out shows. Boogie through time with Lulu Loud, experiencing the whole of music history in an awesome audio-visual dance party for kids of all ages. $15.00 per ticket or $50.00 family of 4. Sat 7th July @ 2pm. More info here.
- Sydney Opera House - Tribunal - Australia’s colonial past and refugee policies are put on trial in this powerful piece of political theatre. Tickets from $21.50. Friday 6th & Saturday 7th July. Ages 12+. More info here.
- Sydney Opera House - Wilde Creatures - Come on a fantastic journey through palaces, forests and beyond in this exciting new adaptation of Oscar Wilde’s fairy tales. Tickets from $25. Saturday 7th to Saturday 14th July. Ages 5+. More info here. Combine a Junior Tour and Wilde Creatures and Lunch with a Junior Day Pack Winter. Prices from $92 per adult. More info here.
- Sydney Opera House - The Hunting of the Snack - Come on an impossible voyage to find the mythical snark in the wonderful world of Lewis Carroll. Tickets from $27. Tuesday 17th to Sunday 22nd July. Ages 6+. More info here.
- Sydney Opera House - The Great Illusionist - Jump into an enchanting tale of a young boy who longs to be an illusionist. Tickets from $29. Saturday 21st to Saturday 29th July. Ages 8+. More info here.
- The Tragedy of Hamlet: Prince of Skidmark - The Listies, maestros of children’s entertainment, have pulled apart Shakespeare’s classic and glued it back together with hilarious costumes, loads of silliness and plenty of interactivity. According to The Listies, the time is right for Hamlet’s return. “Shakespeare is on the way up at the moment. In 2016 no-one knew who he was. He was super niche and indie, like only hipsters “got” him. But then he went on The Bachelor, did Celebrity Big Brother UK and now he is massive on Insta. We’ve heard something about a Netflix special, Love Island and a Kombucha endorsement but his agent is being super cagey.” Tickets from $35 per adult $35, $30 concession, Group 10+ $30, under 16 $28 and Family of 4 $114. Ages 5+. Wednesday 4th - Sunday 22nd July 2018. More info here.
- Bricks 4 Kidz Northern Beaches - School holiday Programs - Choose from a range of great school holiday workshops. Kids can have fun with friends creating cool BRICKS 4 KIDZ® models with LEGO® Technic, building 3D characters, or making craft projects and other activities that center around our SUPER FUN themes. (Shhh… they’re also educational, but the kids will never know!). Or sign them up to one of their robotics workshops to create and learn to program their own ‘bot!. Ages and Prices vary. A full list of workshops taking place in Balgowlah is up on the blog. More info here.
- Camp Australia - Winter e-magination holiday program - Australia’s leading Holiday Care provider, operating around the country, Camp Australia will be running workshops these holidays with a new theme. The theme for this season is E-magination, inspired by technology and all the imaginative things that can be explored within this sphere. Although it is technology themed, there will still be a variety of choice for activities to suit all tastes. More info here.
- Hello Little Artisan - School Holiday Workshops - Little ones are free to create, make, paint, venture in the garden and go in the studio for more activities. Choose from Rainbow Fibre Art, Hoop Art and Simple Embroidery or Messy Paint & Play Playtime. All ages. Prices vary. More info here. Our review here.
- Jeffries Academy of Music - JAM School Holiday workshops & classes - Get the kids off the couch and into the music studio during the school holidays for a unique experience in the world of music with Nic Jeffries, former The Voice finalist and his team of qualified music tutors at his studio in Killarney Heights. Nic and his team are offering a number of cool musical experiences to get kids and teens from 8-18 years rocking and tapping into their musical side with 1⁄2 and full day workshops running from Monday 9 July until Friday 13 July. 1/2 day or full day available. Prices vary. More info here.
- Northern Beaches - Kids on the Coast School Holiday Activities - A Jam-packed Coastal Environment Centre program offers kids the chance to explore the world of science, try their hand at cooking some tasty treats, be a marine biologist for the day and so much more. Ages 6 to 12 years. $61 per day. More info here.
zoos - aquariums - farms
- Taronga Zoo - Zoo Adventures - Taronga’s Wild Squad Zoo Adventurers is a fun, educational holiday program for children aged between five to 10 years of age, where they are taken on an exciting zoo journey, learning about animals and the environments they live in. Ages 5 to 10 years. Prices vary. More info here.
For more ideas on what to do with the kids in Sydney, head to our blog, our daily spots list or pools & beaches or playgrounds list. And for a full list of parents rooms around Sydney, head to our parents room page.